2023: Nigerians demand immediate extension of PVC registration, threaten mass protest
Nigerians who missed yesterday’s deadline for the Continuous Voters Registration, or CVR, have urged the Independent National Electoral Commission, or INEC, to prolong the process.
According to ENTSTUFF, a number of registration sites were overwhelmed on Sunday by impatient Nigerians trying to beat the deadline set by the electoral commission on June 25.
Recall that INEC had extended the application period from June 30 to July 31 in 2022 to allow eligible Nigerians to do so in advance of the general elections in 2023.
Many Nigerians have yet to register, despite the service being extended to churches and other locations in an effort to facilitate registration.
Voters who planned to cast ballots were furious and screaming that there were conspiracies to deny some Nigerians the right to vote when ENTSTUFF visited some polling places in Abuja on Sunday.
One of the irate PVC applicants, Mr. Ojo K.T, told our correspondent that he had been trying to register since Monday while speaking with him in the Kubwa CVR center.
“I think they simply don’t want us to vote,” he stated. Consider the individuals who will not be permitted to vote in the election. What is awry in this nation?
You’ll see that most of us who have been here since 3 a.m. this morning are young people if you look around. They are purposefully driving us away because they are terrified of the impending revolution.
He asserted that protest is the only language that the administration of President Mummadu Buhari comprehends, adding that “we must take to the streets to demand the continuation of the exercise.” Nobody should infringe on our right to vote since it is a fundamental freedom.
According to an ENTSTUFF investigation, several of the clinics lack the necessary exercise equipment.
Despite the crowd that has been swarming the center since the activity began, only two computers were visible in the Bwari INEC office.
Goodluck Ibem, President General of the Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, COSEYL, expressed regret that certain Southeast residents were unable to register for the exercise in an interview with ENTSTUFF.
He stated, “The exercise to register voters for the 2022 election appears to be a planned attempt by some politicians to deny the Southeast citizens the opportunity to register for their voter’s card.”
He claims that the situation is different in other sections of the North and that the Southeast was purposefully denied suitable equipment for the exercise.
He continued, “In the North, we are well aware that the INEC provided enough and necessary registration materials for the exercise.
Similar to this, an activist named Adetunji Abiola warned our correspondent that if the electoral board didn’t extend the registration process, there may be widespread unrest.
The potential for Nigerian young to participate fully in elections for the first time has been denied, he claimed. “We give this government at least a week to reopen the INEC portal for more registration or they may force us to the street so that the international community can come to our aid,” the protester said. “I can tell you that over a million Nigerian youths are going to be disenfranchised if we don’t act on time.
However, the INEC National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity, Barr. Festus Okoye, ruled out the prospect of extending the exercise in a conversation with journalists on Saturday in Awka, the capital of Anambra State.